By Carol Lansing,Edward D. English
- Examines altering ways to the learn of medieval Europe, its periodization, and important themes
- Includes assurance of vital questions comparable to id and the self, sexuality and gender, emotionality and ethnicity, in addition to extra conventional subject matters comparable to fiscal and demographic growth; kingship; and the increase of the West
- Explores Europe’s realizing of the broader international to put the examine of the medieval society in a world context
Read or Download A Companion to the Medieval World (Blackwell Companions to European History) PDF
Best european history books
Because the new identify displays, Palmer’s A heritage of Europe within the glossy global continues its well-established historic authority, whereas focusing extra particularly on Europe’s widespread position in glossy international exchanges, kingdom construction, transnational advertisement structures, colonial empires, and cultural transitions.
This uniquely formidable heritage bargains an account of all elements of cultural job and construction during the international of Latin Christendom 1200-1450. starting with an in depth description of the political and financial situations that allowed the 'Gothic second' to flourish, the physique of the e-book is either a party of the Gothic cultural success - in cathedral-building, in manuscript illumination, in chivalric love-romance, in stained glass and in lots of different arts - and an research of its social origins and structures of construction.
The tale of England’s medieval queens is vibrant and stirring, choked with tragedy, excessive drama or even comedy. it's a chronicle of affection, homicide, conflict and betrayal, full of ardour, intrigue and sorrow, peopled via a solid of heroines, villains, stateswomen and fanatics. within the first quantity of this epic new sequence, Alison Weir strips away centuries of romantic mythology and prejudice to bare the lives of England’s queens within the century after the Norman Conquest.
The 1st neighborhood background of Napoleonic France to seem within the English language, within Napoleonic France: country and Society in Rouen, 1800-1815 redresses the normal overlook of nearby heritage in this interval. counting on huge French archival assets, Gavin Daly units out to enquire the character of the Napoleonic nation and its brief and longer-term influence upon neighborhood society.
- The Lives of Popes and Emperors (Italica Press Medieval & Renaissance Texts)
- How Asia Got Rich: Japan, China and the Asian Miracle: Japan, China and the Asian Miracle
- Feeding France: New Sciences of Food, 1760–1815 (Cambridge Social and Cultural Histories)
- The Politics of Contested Narratives: Biographical Approaches to Modern European History
Extra resources for A Companion to the Medieval World (Blackwell Companions to European History)
A Companion to the Medieval World (Blackwell Companions to European History) by Carol Lansing,Edward D. English